The Stigma Surrounging Long-Distance Relationships

I don't think there's a secret that long-distance relationships have a lot of stigma attached to them. People are suspicious of them. They find them strange. I don't even know how aware most people are of their dislike for long-distance relationships, but when they hear you're in one, they make their dislike known.

I can't count the amount of times that I've been told about a failed long-distance relationship by a perfect stranger. This happens to me when I'm alone: my hairdresser (or more accurately, a man who worked at the salon I used to go to who cut my hair once, an experience that I have avoided like the plague ever since) found out my girlfriend lives in America and launched into a tale about how he had an ex-girlfriend who had lived in Rome while he was living in some provincial town in Italy. Apparently the experience sucked: he couldn't move there because it's expensive to live in Rome and she couldn't move to him because she was too cool for the Boringsville he inhabited, according to him. Though I'm going to guess it had more to do with all the sex and drugs he told me he had and did in his downtime in various locations across the world. Interesting guy.

Perhaps more shockingly, these stories come thick and fast when Taylor and I are together too! You might think that people might be deterred from sharing their personal horror stories when confronted with two people who are partaking right this second in their hero's hubris and yet, no. We were in True Religion in Fashion Valley in San Diego when a girl who worked there somehow uncovered we're long-distance and we were treated to a charming tale about her cousin who had a doomed LDR with an Australian. To be fair to this fine employee of True Religion, she seemed to realise about halfway through what an awkward subject she had embarked upon and shiftily added at the end, "But I'm sure you guys will be fine!"

Now, reader, I'm going to be so bold as to admit something about myself. I too was once a long-distance hater. Don't be too alarmed, not on either of these gentle folk's level (and by gentle, I'm being sarcastic, because clearly they were actually very tactless and impolite). BT (Before Taylor), if someone had told me they were in a coupling which covered multiple cities, counties or countries, I would have kept my judgements discreetly to myself, but I did used to not understand why somebody would do long-distance. This mainly comes down to a few bad experiences with the old LD in my younger years, to be fair to me. But I had convinced myself it could never work and furthermore, that I would never do it.

Much like with any of these things which we tell ourselves we will "never do", of course it only took me to be presented with the reality of the situation in my life - meeting a beautiful, funny, intelligent and all around utterly bewitching blonde girl from far across the ocean who I would never want to willingly say goodbye to - for me to change my tune on long-distance. To be honest, once I was in the situation myself, it didn't make much sense not to do long-distance. Whether we were together or not, I was going to stay in love with Taylor. She felt the same. So why on earth wouldn't we stay committed to one another? We've done long-distance for a couple weeks off a year now, and it's going just swell, thanks very much. Because if you have two people who really, really want their relationship to work, it doesn't matter where the people partaking in that relationship are. You make it happen. And long-distance with Taylor really, really is as easy as ABC. And even 1, 2, 3 and do re mi. That's how easy love can be.


1 comment:

  1. I wanna thanks to a great extent for providing such informative and qualitative material therefore often.truth about men

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think!